Monday, December 12, 2011

Visual imagery and autistic mathematicians

I wrote the following in response to a posting about Do thoughts have a language of their own?
As an autistic mathematician who began intense mathematics research in third grade I often experience unusual visual images associated with my significant mathematical epiphanies. When I "got" group theory in an epiphany I saw an ocean of small beautifully colors dots. This is a visualization I could potentially paint, but most of my mathematical "visions" do not remotely correspond to anything that could possibly be communicated or even exists in the ken of the population at large. Just as using arrays of GPU's or Graphical Processing Units are a critical breakthrough in mathematical computing, I have the sense that the mathematical software my brain uses to process mathematics has expanded in a virus like manner into large parts of my visual cortex. The visual cortex integrates thirty or so different subsystems and my mathematical "visions" are consistent with the idea that I am invoking unusual subsets of the different visual subsystems in unusual manners in order for me to process abstract mathematical thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment